Monday, April 30, 2007

Learning Tagalog

I keep on telling my kids to practise their Tagalog. Sa bahay tagalog na ang gamit namin kapag kinakausap namin sila (hirap kasi mag-translate ng salita sa English...hehehe). They can understand some Filipino words but can't really speak the language. Kapag nasa supermarket or mall kami, Tagalog din kung kausapin namin sila. Kapag nag-turo 'di nakakahiya sabihin na "huwag iyan kasi mahal".

Our eldest was born in the Philippines. I told him he should at least try to speak in Tagalog. He told me that if he will do that, he will then be called 'ano po iyon' boy. 'Yun lang daw kasi ang alam niyang sabihin 'ano po iyon'.

Our princess, the 2nd one, is at least trying her best to use Tagalog when speaking to us. Basic words alam na niya. She can count in Tagalog very well!

Recently, si bunso biglang nagpa-turo sa akin ng Tagalog. He keeps on asking me what is the Tagalog of cold, hot, warm, toothbrush and many other things. He is so cute! Tawag niya sa warm is 'gamgam'. 'Di kasi niya mabigkas ang maligamgam. Pero 'di pa rin niya masabi ang 'I Love You' sa Tagalog. Before, I told him "Mahal kita Cedric". I asked him if he knew what 'mahal' is in English. He proudly said "expensive"...hehehe...

No comments: