Sunday, February 3, 2008

Home Sweet Home

In the previous company I worked with, I was sometimes sent to another country to attend trainings or to work on a project. I was excited and at the same time sad because I have to leave my family behind.

I do love to travel. To be in a new place and do new things makes me happy. Being a mother of three, I see this as an opportunity for me to have some time solely for myself. But at the end of the day I miss my home, my family and most especially my three angels…and the feeling is no different to being away from my home country…

Yes, we have been living in another country for more than eight years! Seven and a half years in NZ and a year in Australia. Some may wonder why we decided to leave Philippines. I also asked myself this question. Bakit nga ba?

The reason we often hear why people leave their home country is that they are looking for a greener pasture and this also applies to us. I miss Philippines so much. I miss my relatives and friends. The food that you can only find and taste in the Philippines. The Filipino movies and TV shows and a lot more. Although, I haven’t been in places like Boracay or Pearl Farm, there are heaps of beautiful beaches in my home country. Oh yes, Philippines is blessed with wonderful natural resources! But sadly, these natural wealth are not used properly or if it was, it’s only for the benefit of a few and not of the many.

When we were still in New Zealand, a taxi driver told me that he once visited Philippines and was amazed of how beautiful my country is. He asked me why did I left? Then he added, the common reason why many people leave their home country is because of the government…how the officials put into practice their power. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I agree with the taxi driver.

Sometimes I asked myself, when is that day when we can experience in the Philippines the lifestyle we have here in Australia (or even in New Zealand). Where we can afford to eat what the rich people in the Philippines usually eats…to send three kids in a private school…and to have access to a good health system even if you are just a middle earner.

I can’t wait for that day when we can settle permanently in the Philippines…to have a scrumptious breakfast of sinangag, tinapa or toyo, tocino, longganisa at kapeng barako (yummy!)…to watch Filipino movies and TV shows…to dine in Jollibee, Chow King and Max’s…and to spend one lazy day making chika with my friends.

Truly, home is where your heart is…and my heart is still yearning to come home to Philippines.

No comments: